Monday, January 24, 2011

Warmth? What's That?

It's eleven degrees outside today in good old Connecticut.  It was negative six when I left the house this morning, and more snow predicted for tomorrow night.

Don't get me wrong, I love the snow.  Especially when it causes my office to close.  But we've had a storm every week since Christmas and it's getting a little ridiculous.  So it's really no surprise that I had a dream about being on a plane last night.  In the dream, I didn't know my destination, but I can bet it was Aruba. 

My husband and I have been there three times since we've been married, and I don't think I could ever get sick of it - and that's despite getting stuck in an elevator on two separate occasions in two different hotels.  So yeah, I take the stairs whenever possible now.  Anyhow, I digress.

As much as I love the snow, there is no place I love more than the beach.  Which probably has a lot to do with the fact that my "finished" novel takes place in California, near and on the beach.  And ironically enough, all this snow has given me the chance to look at said novel with fresh eyes and realize I hated my second chapter.  I've demolished it and am slowly rebuilding it, finding that I am much happier with the new version.  So I'm finding that even though the weather has me longing for this:
It's been providing me with both the frame of mind and the time to devote to telling a better story.  Because the more I see this:
The more I retreat in my mind to this:

We took this trip shortly after I finished my first draft, and just looking at these photos reminds me of all the revision plans I had whirlpooling in my head.  I brought a little notebook with me to the beach every day to write down new thoughts or edits I wanted to add/make when I got home.  And ironically enough, it's my frost-bitten fingers and runny nose bringing me back to that thought process right now.  If that's what it takes to inspire a little creativity, I say bring it on.  Because when those white flakes are coming down again tomorrow, this is where I'll be:

See how hard I'm thinking?  I'm probably not even seeing that beautiful, clear water.  I'm seeing an awesome kissing scene between my main characters.  Not even joking.

Aaaah inspiration.  Where do you find yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment